Kathanik (Sanskrit for narrator or a story-teller), an upcoming fashion brand was born out of a passion for handloom fabrics, craftsmanship and a need to convey the story of the richest and most vibrant aspects of Indian cultural heritage and the transition through different eras.
Kathanik aims to be a niche label with focus on structural shapes and impeccable tailoring to create ensembles that are glamorous yet wearable and a valuable addition to the wardrobe.
The idea is to reinvent the classic handloom fabric woven by local artisans and present it through modern tailoring with contemporary cuts and edgy designs.
If you love handlooms, if you wish to work for yourself, if you think you have the ability to design timeless garments that spell comfort & style and if you think you have most (if not all) of the qualifications listed below; write to us!
– Minimum 1 – 2 years work experience with a reputed design house
– Candidate should have good knowledge of textiles and fabric
– Understanding of draping techniques
– Understanding of women’s and kids garments, fabrics, and body measurements
– Understanding design from a technical perspective, i.e. producing patterns and technical specifications for designs
– The ability to generate ideas and concepts
– Technical skills, including pattern cutting
– Good organisation and time management.
– creating or visualising an idea and producing a design by hand or using computer-aided design (CAD)
– keeping up to date with emerging fashion trends as well as general trends relating to fabrics, colours and shapes/silhouettes
– sourcing, selecting and buying fabrics, trims, fastenings and embellishments
– adapting existing designs for mass production
– developing a pattern that is cut and sewn into sample garments and supervising the creation of these, including fitting, detailing and adaptations
– overseeing production
The position is full time and the ideal candidate will be a talented and enthusiastic designer who is interested in building a brand and a possible partnership.